Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Warning! Long and potentially boring journal post!

The summer heat is slowly on it's way out, and I suddenly have renewed energy and mood! I had such a great day today. It started out well and then just got better. I woke up early and went for a jog in the rain (yay me!) Usually, that would have been a legitimate excuse to turn off the alarm and stay in bed, but like I said, renewed energy.

Emma got up this morning and decided to help me with the garbage. She gathered it all and took the trash out to the street. I got teary on the way home from dropping them at school, thinking about what a good kid she is and how much a simple act of service can mean to someone. I know, I'm a mom.

Since I didn't have to take the trash out I took a nice shower, and did my hair. Now that is an accomplishment. I spent the morning with my Gourmet Club partner Anne, and we tried out some new recipes for our big dinner in October. We found a couple winners and I stuffed myself with delicious food.

I put Nate to bed and called a friend for Ashley, thinking I might get to rest if she was busy. When Sophie's mom came to drop her off she said Sophie had decided she wanted to play at her house, so Ashley went and I laid down for a luxurious nap in my totally quiet house. No cartoons on in the background, no million questions, just me and the ceiling fan and a cozy blanket. (Thanks Jen!)

Ash was still gone when the girls came home from school, so I helped Camille with her homework without the usual distractions (think screaming, crying, fighting, arguing, tattling, and crumbs everywhere.) I spent an hour and a half working in my front yard while Ash and Nate rode bikes. I bagged up the stuff I pruned out a couple days ago and gave my monkey grass a major thinning and haircut. Man that thing was overgrown. It was a fair fight--my hands are all cut up. Monkey grass is sharp! I should have taken a before picture, so you could see how much I did. I have three giant contractor bags filled already--one entirely with monkey grass--and still a pile of eucalyptus branches to pick up.


Emma's soccer practice was canceled, Yippee! Soccer takes a big chunk of our week. I don't love that but it is fun when the kids enjoy it and I like to watch their games.

Because we could sit down to dinner I got inspired to make posole from stuff I had in my pantry, which was exciting because that is something I would actually like to eat if I ever had to eat my food storage. It was so fast, and very tasty if you add a little shredded cabbage and fresh lime. While I cooked Emma unloaded the dishwasher without complaining. Gold star for Emma today.

We sat down together and talked about the best and worst of our days, something we picked up from our friend Deb that my kids love. They all want a turn to talk. Camille did the dishes with only a little complaining, and I have an empty sink to start the morning :)

The girls can now get ready for bed without assistance. Hallelujah! And I thought it would never happen. While they did that Justin asked Nate what he wanted to watch on TV. Nate shouted "FOOTBALL!" with enthusiasm and Justin almost cried. It was a proud moment. The girls will have a hard time if they ever try to beat Nate out as Justin's favorite! Anytime he mentions anything with "ball" in it, points out trucks, rides his motorcycle, or greets Justin with a happy "Daddy!" and a "Hug! Hug!" Justin just looks at me and smiles.

Lastly, I folded two loads of laundry while watching The Office and remembered to water my new potted plants. I love flowers! It is so great to get to the end of the day and feel like you have done something worthwhile. I can't figure out why this is rotated wrong or how to fix it so enjoy my flowers sideways, I'm ready for bed.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

This post made me smile, and made me miss hanging out with you. Glad you had a great day! Funny how it really is the little things that put a smile on our face. And when you get a ton of little things all in one day, it gives you a huge grin!

Susanne said...

I am thoroughly impressed! I hope I can have a day like that some day. And that you get to have lots! What a great day. Your yard looks fabulous. Ours looks ghetto. Feel free to come and work on mine anytime you want!

I love the news posts!

keri said...

I love those days when everything magically goes right! Glad to see you had one, you deserve it!