Thursday, September 3, 2009

WARNING hibernating bear!


Camille is tough in the morning. From the minute I get her up, she folds her arms, stomps her feet, and screams at anyone who talks to her. This morning for example, I woke her up to get in a nice warm bath. The bath was too hot, and she refused to get in and said she hated school. It was the worst day of her life. (She said that yesterday too. I considered pointing it out to her but held back.) Then she was mad because she couldn't get her nightgown off by herself. She was upset because she couldn't get out of the tub first (Ashley was almost finished with her bath by now.) Then because she had to wash with soap. When I asked her to get out she moaned with frustration, and after she had complained about getting in. Then she was furious because she had nothing to wear. Emma's clothes didn't fit, they were too long. When I produced a perfectly clean pair of capris from the dryer, she didn't want to wear that outfit and refused to go to school. I said it was against the law for her to stay home and she said she hated the police, with her arms folded. But she finally did get dressed, and started playing with her dollhouse. At this point we have ten minutes before we are supposed to leave.
Downstairs, she got mad at me because there was nothing she wanted to eat. I made a few suggestions which were vhemently refused, so I told her to figure it out on her own or go hungry to school. She found some cereal. She obstinately put on her shoes trying to wiggle as much as possible while I combed her hair, and I told her she would have to go to bed at 7:00 tonight if she didn't start cooperating. We stomped our way to the car. After I started it up Ashley told me Camille wasn't buckled so I told her to buckle up. She screamed at Ashley for tattling but put her seatbelt on. Then she said she hated little sisters and I told her to keep her mouth shut, she hadn't said one nice thing all morning. Thankfully she did. I'd like to tell you it was an unusually rough morning, but it wasn't. It's all completely routine.

Nate is thankfully less abrasive when he wakes up. He usually snuggles who ever gets him out of bed for a minute or so, and then eats what the girls are eating for breakfast. This morning he needed more cereal and nobody was there to help so he helped himself. He laughed with us when we laughed at him and posed for me when I got the camera.


11 comments:

Emily said...

Did you sigh a major sigh of relief when you dropped them off for school? Classic but so funny. Hopefully they'll change around before they walk in your door this afternoon! We miss you guys.

Mary said...

Oh Cam! Is it okay to say... I hope I don't get such a hand full. Knock on wood.

keri said...

I hate those days! Kenzie has those moments where I have to pull her out of bed and everything is a struggle....where's the light at the end of the tunnel when they just get ready themselves??

Susanne said...

OH, Camille. Who would've guessed that such a sweet baby girl would be such a morning monster. You are a good mom Kate. I think I would've lost it 100 times over by the time she got out of the car at school. nate is CUTE!

Mugs said...

Oh Katie. This post made me giggle. It sounds like Camille is your "spirited one" as one of my friends labels her child with lots of personality and spit-fire. I'm so glad to know you. You have loads of humor and wisdom in your bag of tricks.

Tamara said...

I feel you Camille. Mornings are for the birds. Hang in there Kate.

Kristin said...

Aaaah my little camellion! I see she is taking after her favorite aunt Kristin. I'm freakin pissed off every morning-- because it's morning!

Katie, you're really taking one for the team on this one.

Mary Kay said...

This is hilarious--of course, because I don't have to deal with it every morning! But Lizzie can sure get in sour moods after naps especially ones that are nigh near impossible to work out of her! So sorry! Love the bowl of cereal Nate poured.

Michelle said...

You know right where she gets that from right? I'm with Camille about mornings...it's the reason I go for an HOUR jog...so I don't roar and scream at anything that talks to me in my house...after my hour (and a diet coke), it is okay to speak to me...as long as you are speaking pleasantly...but even then, you're taking your chances. I feel you Camille!!!!

Tracey said...

OH Kate....it is really funny to read about, but I dont know if I could do it every day :) Good job for staying so calm and sweet. You only have about 12 more years of this! OH THEY GROW UP SO FAST! (THATS SUCH A LIE.... WHEN THEY ARE HARD IT Feels LIKE A LIFETIME) Love you all!

Tracey said...

OH Kate....it is really funny to read about, but I dont know if I could do it every day :) Good job for staying so calm and sweet. You only have about 12 more years of this! OH THEY GROW UP SO FAST! (THATS SUCH A LIE.... WHEN THEY ARE HARD IT Feels LIKE A LIFETIME) Love you all!