Monday, March 8, 2010

Proud Parenting Moments

Anyone with kids knows the feeling of pride when they see their kid do something great by their own choice. For example, a month or so ago Emma asked, "Why do you read your scriptures at breakfast?" I responded, "Because it is usually quiet then and it gets my day off to a good start." The very next morning I came down the stairs and there she was reading her scriptures with her cereal. She has been fairly consistent with it since then too. What a cutie!

Though Katie disagrees with it being a proud parenting moment, this next example was priceless! We were at Emma's soccer game and Camille, Ashley and Nathan were not in to it. They asked if they could go play on the bleachers about 20 yards behind us. There were a couple of boys playing over there (one 7 and the other 4.) After a minute or two I glanced over to see how everything was going. Just then the older boy takes a swing at Nate with this toy sword looking thing and stops just shy of his head. I know the older kid and he is usually really nice to our kids so I decide to let it play out for a minute before I go over to separate them. Then, the younger kid (about 4 and a head taller than Bubba) runs up to Nathan, growls and makes clawing gestures right up in his grill. (According to Camille he was pretending to be a dinosaur) Nate has a curious/scared look on his face and at this point I have just about seen enough of this. As I stand up to walk over there, Nathan clinches both fists, puts his head down and starts rapid firing punches to the kid's gut. After a few seconds both kids take off running. So fast in fact that they left their sword behind. Nathan quickly picked it up and started chasing them with it. A teary-eyed moment for sure.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ha ha. Hilarious! Way to go Nate. I think he gets that from his Aunt Michelle...or maybe Uncle Markie. I seem to remember something called a bicycle punch...