Tuesday, January 27, 2009

confession

Hi friends!

I have had quite the time adjusting to my life here, and to my life with four kids. I feel like a wreck. I never finish things, I don't blog, my house is a mess, I lose my temper with the kids, I just can't seem to stay on top of anything. I am madly treading water just to stay afloat, and don't seem to make progress anywhere. But don't give up on me entirely. One of these days there will be something interesting here, and I've missed being in touch with everyone.

Lately my mom came to visit (too bad she is not still here) and we worked hard and got lots done. We cleaned out my closet and got rid of almost half of what was in there. I took bags and bags to goodwill, it felt so great. Then we (mostly mom) organized my desk area in the kitchen and lots of the cupboards that needed a little help. We painted my very red dining room back to traditional light green with white trim. Gina, I actually used a paint chip you gave me, I think it is the same one you have in your family room. It looks so great! I got new rugs for my kitchen, rewired two lamps that were broken (I'm pretty proud of that one!), and then we moved on to go through all the kids clothes and organize them. Mom eliminated my entire pile of mending, in about an hour, and it had sat there so long that the nightgowns had to be passed down to the next girl in line.

For my birthday she helped me fix up my bed, I have not had bedding since last May. We got a king sized bed and I had one set of sheets and two cotton blankets on there, and Justin and I each had a throw sized fleece blanket because my insulation sucks and it actually gets pretty cold. Mom and I got a comforter at TJ Maxx. Then we went to a FABULOUS store in Dallas that sells decorater fabrics, it was huge, and had great prices. We got this great fabric and mom made me three new pillow cases for my bed, it is so great to have it. It makes me feel like an adult again. My mom has such great taste, she comes and makes everything nicer. I should also comment that Justin is so great for all of this. He comes home and takes extra kid duty so we can finish our paint or sewing projects, and also is so easy to please he admires all improvements without complaints.

Being the incapable person I am, I'll have to post pictures of it all later as well as change my blog background because it is time for bed.

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your mom is so awesome that she would come help you do so much. Post pix of your bed and dining room. i'd love to see how it turned out.
I'm sorry you've had a hard time adjusting to all the new stuff. I feel like just when i feel like i've got things down everything changes and my crazy life starts over again.
i'm always thinking of you. Let me know if you ever need help

gina said...

How fun to get to spend so much time with your Mom! I want to see pictures, I'm sure it all looks really good, you Mom is excellent at this stuff. Come visit soon

Keri said...

I miss you so much! It sounds like you're getting a ton done, as for me, kitchen is still painted a color I hate, and I"m too lazy to change it!

Susanne said...

Kate-- I am a little bit glad that I'm not the only one who feels like a wreck lately and I am not trying to adjust to a new house, state, etc. I'm glad your Mom came and did so much for and with you. I've always wanted to borrow her for a week or two.

I'll be looking forward to the pictures of your new decor. Hang in there!

Mugs said...

Oh Kate, I feel you...and I've only got the one kid. Sheesh. Where do the hours go? I wash and change the sheets, I clean out the fridge, and assemble a million snacks for Miles and the day is done. Nothing to show for it...except the clean sheets and fridge I guess. And then I talk coupons and playdates with my husband like they are the most interesting topics in the universe. So long freakin' story short...I love you for your candor.

And dude, your mom DOES know how to put things together. Your home growing up was FABULOUS!

Emily said...

You're doing SO much better then you think and don't give yourself enought credit! You're amazing and I for one am incredibly grateful you moved her...don't know what I'd do without ya!

Jules said...

Katie Katie Katie... you are so great!!! I would seriously have NEVER known you were feeling that way, you really hold it all together. And look beautiful in the midst of it!!!

Aren't mom's AMAZING!?! My mom does the same thing when she comes. She's the RESCUER! And how they have the energy to do it all at their age-- when I can't even do it... I don't know!!!

I think you're fantastic and I can't wait to come see your dining room! Love, Julie

cat said...

i'm with the others - i am excited to see pictures of your fabulous new things!
sorry about you going nuts. if it makes you feel any better we can both go to the looney bin together! 4 kids is a "little" challenging!
your mom rocks.

Laura said...

Cousin Laura Swim here...That wii looks fun!

I can hardly wait for my mom to come visit me in NC this April. I'm drowning myself with three little ones around me! But I guess as long as I keep my head slightly above the water I'll survive :-)

You've sure got some cute little faces in that family of yours!

Shanna said...

Hi sweetie, I am sorry things have been hard! No fun! I am glad that your mom got to come visit, maybe she should move in. :) You are a strong woman! Love ya!