Wednesday, April 8, 2009

dinner disaster

I have been waiting to try this new recipe for a while now. I bought the ingredients, I was almost ready to go one night and Justin ended up not coming home so I put it off.

Well, I made it today. It took me an hour and a half in the kitchen (not that the recipe was that involved, but I had to clean as I went and then the kid factor...) and I ended up with the perfect Chicken Picatta, the chicken looked just like the picture on the recipe, it was a little golden and everything was done at the right time. Perfection.
Justin called in the middle of cooking to say something had gone wrong at work, but I wasn't overly concerned about that, I could reheat it for him. Then, there was unanimous mutany at the table! Such whining and complaining you have never heard. You would think I tried to feed them road kill. Even Nate threw his chicken on the floor.

Emma was the most upset. Camille and Ashley eventually picked their capers out and ate the chicken and noodles with added parmesan. Bubb played with his for a while, trying to get some food on a fork but he didn't eat any. When I tried to feed him a bowtie he stuck his tongue out and spit it out. But Em, that girl. She dug her heels in and announced she would be sneaking downstairs at midnight to eat cereal. Then she sat and glared at me for the rest of the dinner. I offered her a couple flavor covering choices, but I'm not in the restaurant business. She got sent to her room without eating.

When Justin came home and I heated up his plate specially, he hates microwaved meat. I made it all pretty and served him up. He took one bite and looked at me apolegetically.

I'm feeling like pizza and hot dogs for the next month.



P.S. Emma had a change of heart and apologized for her behavior. In light of the total failure of my new recipe, I gave her a bowl of cereal.

14 comments:

Julie said...

That is so sad! But it happens all the time at my house. We just stick to the basics.....no angry mom, not so much complaining! What didn't they like about it? I like Chicken Piccatta!

Keri said...

I hate it when that happens! I tell Dave all the time that the more time I spend cooking a nice meal, the more complaining I hear...hot dogs and pizza are the way to go.

Susanne said...

I'm so bummed for you!! Did you like it?? Pizza, Hot dogs & mac & cheese, here I come!

Kristin said...

That is the saddest thing ever. What a punch in the stomach. I'm telling you, motherhood is a thankless job! Good thing Stephen will be doing all the cooking in our house!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry!! That just sucks when you spend so much time and money on something and it's not great. Don't give up though. You will try something one day and EVERYONE will LOVE it. Then all the time you spent slaving will be worth it when they are praising your culinary skills.

Tamara said...

May I please just say that my heart sank just reading that. Nothing seems as disheartening to me as when I work my tail off to make something extra special and bordering on gourmet and I don't get the standing ovation I've been dreaming of as I slaved. I feel for you.

j-liz said...

Just for the record, Katie has mad skills in the kitchen. Every now and a again we find a dish that we won't repeat but overall she does a great job finding things to satisfy a tough audience.

p.s. I didn't even like the Chicken Picatta at The Chop House.

Mary said...

Sounds like bad timing. Did you like it?

Mugs said...

Oh! All that hard work! It looked delicious. Us moms put our heart and souls into stuff like this. No wonder we get grumpy sometimes!

I would've licked the plate, Kate.

Tracey said...

This is why I dont cook! An hour and a half (your joking right?)

The Queen said...

oh man, i hate nights like that!

Emily said...

I'm sorry! I hope you enjoyed the yummy dinner atleast! It doesn't bother me that much when I put a lot of effort into a new recipe and the kids don't like it, I figure if I make it enough they will eventually. What I really hate is when the hubby doesn't particuarlly go for it. That's when I get discouraged! It looks amazing...I would have eatin it for sure!

Mary Kay said...

I so know that feeling! When you try hard to make a special dinner and have every one complaining about even taking one bite! It does make you want to stick to chicken nuggets still they start to cluck-cluck, too! But just the same, I'm determined to produce non-picky eaters, and they either eat it or go hungry. Eventually, they get hungry enough they manage to eat a bit! Mean mom, I know.

Carrie L said...

Oh Katie, I feel your pain! When that happens at my house, I tell myself, "I'm the chef and if they want something else they can do their own cooking or starve." Maybe that's why my kids are so skinny!